St Edmunds Newsletter – December 2022
Sunday, November 27th marks the beginning of Advent and our preparation for the birth of Christ. Our community is blessed with diverse talents and gifts and I invite you to make this season one of peace and sharing. Let us continue to work together to demonstrate our St. Edmund’s spirit and serve others.
I have been honoured to witness the staff and parents’ dedication and devotion to Catholic Education. It takes a special commitment to send your children to a Catholic School, and I believe that the education your child receives at St. Edmund’s reflects high standards with our faith being central in all that we do.
On behalf of the entire staff, I pray this Christmas brings your family love, peace and happiness as we celebrate the joy of our Saviour’s birth.
With Appreciation & Gratitude
- To our grade 6 class for leading us in a reflective and reverent Remembrance Day Prayer Service.
- To our PAC and especially the grade 2 & 4 class parents for all the work, they have been putting into our upcoming Winterfest Fundraiser.
Communicating Student Learning / Parent Teacher Conferences – Monday, December 5th
Our teachers appreciate your role as partners in your child’s learning and look forward to seeing you on Monday, December 5th. Please note that students in grades 4 to 7 are expected to attend their conference. (Hopefully, you have all registered for your parent-teacher conference. Please log in on the school website. Thank you for your commitment in taking the opportunity to meet and celebrate your child’s academic progress so far this year.
- For Grades 3 – 7 School students: Tuesday December 6th Grades 3 to 7on December 6th.
- When we receive the sacrament of Reconciliation, we show our desire to welcome the Lord with purified hearts.
- Parish Penitential Services: Tues. Dec. 20 at 7 pm in our Church.
Winterfest School Fundraiser
- Saturday December 10th – Thank you everyone who purchased advanced tickets as well as sent in your contributions to the class baskets. We are looking forward to seeing our community come out for some fun activities, yummy treats, photo opportunities and support of our school programs!
School Choral Concert
- Thursday, December 15 at 7 p.m.
- Doors will open at 6:30, and students are asked to be in their classrooms at 6:40. After the concert, students must be picked up from their classrooms.
Dress Down Days
- Wednesday, December 14th – students will be expected to come in their Christmas Concert costumes for the dress rehearsal. An email will be sent to classes describing the costumes/outfits they will need. The dress rehearsal will be recorded by our amazing videographer parent, Mr. Gumabao and we will share this video with you during the Christmas holiday.
- Friday, December 16th – noon dismissal and Christmas colour theme.
Safety: Drop-off & Parking Reminders
Please obey all parking/drop-off zone signage. A reminder that the Fire Zone in front of the Church entry and in front of the Gym entry on Mahon Street must be clear (no stopping or parking in this space).
Drivers are also asked not to stop in front of the crosswalk on 6th Avenue before the parking lot gate. Crosswalks must be clear and please be mindful of pedestrians as well as our awesome parents who are volunteering at the crosswalks to keep everyone safe.
Lastly, we are always needing volunteers for crosswalks. If you still need PPP hours for this term, please sign up on our volunteer portal and sign in when you arrive for your shift. Thank you for helping keep our children safe!
Thank you to all our families who continue to support our fundraising efforts, contributing to the payment of the school gym floor and projection system.
Pick up of your Purdy’s Orders will be:
Thurs. Dec. 8th (from gym foyer entrance on Mahon)
Thank you for supporting our uniform policy and keeping our students looking their best! A reminder that uniform dress pants are to be purchased from our school supplier to ensure the appropriate style and navy blue colour. Please label all clothing items with your child’s full name as many students share the same first name or initials.
Additionally, we look forward to your continued support in ensuring children are dressed appropriately (for rain or shine) each day so that we can continue to enjoy the fresh North Vancouver air! Boots are encouraged for rainy days, and children will change into school shoes when they enter the building.
Extra Curricular Programs:
- Special thanks to our Student Council, Mrs. Salituro and Mr. Grossi who have organized, supervised and led our intermediate students in learning and playing the game of chess!
- Thank you to all our volleyball and soccer coaches, scorekeepers, refs, parent drivers and Tbird fans who supported our athletes in a great fall season!
If you have a child who will be ready for Kindergarten for the 2023/2024 class, please send us an email notification by Friday, December 9th, 2022. Preference is given to siblings. However, due to interest in Kindergarten 2023/24, we need to know how many spaces will be available for new families.
NEW FAMILIES 2023/2024:
If you know any families whose first child will be in Kindergarten in September 2023, applications for the 2023/2024 school year are available on the school website and in the school office. Please share the good news about St. Edmund’s with your family and friends!
Fri. Dec. 3 Youth Ministry for Gr. 5 & 7
Mon. Dec. 5 Parent-Teacher Communicating Student Learning Conference
Dec 5-7 Scholastic Book Fair
Tues. Dec. 6 Grades 3 to 7 Confessions
Wed. Dec. 7 Whole School Advent Mass prepared by Grade 4
Thurs, Dec. 8 Choir singing at Lonsdale Quay @ 1:30
Purdy’s Order Pick–up 2:45 school gym
Sat. Dec. 10 Winter Festival 3-6 pm
Tues. Dec. 13 PAC Meeting 7pm
Wed. Dec. 14 Christmas Concert Dress Rehearsal – students come in costume
Thurs. Dec. 15 Christmas Concert Presentation 7 pm
Fri. Dec. 16 Early dismissal (12:00)
Dress Down – Christmas colours