St. Edmunds May 2019
During the month of May, we reflect on Our Blessed Mother’s example of faith, courage, perseverance and fortitude. May God bless all mothers and give us the love and wisdom to raise and guide our families as our Blessed Mother modeled for us. We will continue to ask her to intercede for us and hope that you can join us for the Crowning of Mary on May 9th. We would also like to take this opportunity to wish all mothers a wonderful Mother’s Day on May 12th.
As we approach the final two months of the school year, we would like to congratulate our students who have shown improvement in achievement over the year. In our continued focus on our theme “What do you want of me, Lord” we are asking the children to be mindful of how they treat each other on the playground.
We are grateful for the continued parental support of your children’s education. Encouragement and effort from home and school is just as important in the last few months of school and must continue to be an ongoing commitment.
Third Extra Curricular’s & Fine Arts Showcase
Girls Soccer – The girls soccer season was a brief one this year, but still filled with memories! The best moment came as our heroic T-Birds and their super-hero goalie Nohloni Guerrero held off a very talented Blessed Sacrament team until the very end, going to penalties before finally being defeated. No championship title this season, but lots of fun, and there’s always next year! Go T-Birds!
Floor Hockey Tournament – It’s time again! The 12th Annual Thunderbird Invitational Hockey Tournament will be held on Wednesday May 22nd at St. Edmund’s School Gym. Come cheer on the T-Birds as they play for the coveted T-Bird Cup! Don’t forget to stop by the concession area, run by our cheerful grade 7 volunteers!
Track & Field – The St. Anthony’s Friars Track Meet was held on April 25th and we are so very proud of our team’s effort at this early meet! The CISVA Annual Meet (May 29 & June 5th) will be held at Swangard Stadium. Only those who qualify for their event will be attending the CISVA finals. More information will be provided in the next weeks.
Fine Arts Showcase – Our budding student artists have been busy creating works of art and preparing class songs that will be presented at the Fine Arts Showcase on Thursday May 30st at 7 pm. Mark your calendars to enjoy an evening of music and art!
St. Edmund’s Committees:
Parish Education Committee (PEC) Elections
Notice is hereby given that elections to St. Edmund’s Parish Education Committee will take place on Saturday, May 25th and Sunday, May 26th, 2018.
For the coming year, we need to elect (two) members from St. Edmund’s Parish for St. Edmund’s School Education Committee.
Eligible to nominate and to be nominated for election are all registered parishioners (Catholics living within our parish boundaries), over 21 years of age and Catholic non-parishioners who have been attending our parish upon written agreement of their proper canonical pastor. (Pastor Authorization Forms are available in the parish office).
Eligible to vote are:
- Parishioners 19 years of age and a registered member of St. Edmund’s Parish
- Your name must appear on the Parish list.
- Members of registered families, whose name is not on the list, must contact the office, or register under their own name before the day of elections.
Nomination for ms must be received in the parish office no later than May 16th, 2019 by 4:00 p.m.
St. Edmund’s Parent Support Group (PSG)
The PSG is a necessary Parent Support Liaison Group between the school and the B.C. Gaming Commission who are responsible for application and expenditure of gaming funds that directly benefit students.
We are grateful for the efforts of Mrs. Dwyer and Mrs. Riddall in leading this group and directing funds to pay for school buses for our Walk-a-thon and some field trips.
Recognition & Appreciation
- Congratulations to all our intermediate students who participated in the annual North Shore Catholic Schools Speech Arts Festival at St. Pius X during the week of April 8th. Thank you to our office staff and Miss Ebert, as well as the parent volunteers who helped with the organization of this event.
- On April 26th our Readers are Leaders team competed in the CISVA Regional Competition at St. Anthony’s School. Congratulations to our team members for representing our school and placing 2nd (by a 1 point difference)! We would also like to thank Mrs. Dy for leading all the students who participated in this extra-curricular club this year.
- Congratulations to Gabrielle Arcilla who advanced from our School Spelling Final to the CISVA Spelling Bee on April 30th.