St. Edmunds January 2020
New Year Blessings to your families!
On behalf of the St. Edmund’s staff, I hope everyone enjoyed a wonderful Christmas and a great start to the new year. A new year offers the opportunity to set goals and work hard to do our best remembering that we are all leaders in our own way.
As Catholics, we are called to live a faith-filled, loved-filled life, willingly share gifts and talents for the good of the Kingdom of God. January 6th, is the Feast of the Epiphany which marks the event of the Three Wise Men bearing gifts for baby Jesus twelve days after Christmas. We are reminded that Jesus is God’s greatest gift to us. May we all focus on how we can make others feel welcomed and appreciated by valuing all people as children of God and by using words of encouragement to help others.
Grade 4, 5, 6 and 7 parents are strongly encouraged to attend the Archdiocesan Sexuality and Your Child Meeting on January 14. We will be participating with the Holy Trinity community, starting in their school gym at 7:00 pm. We need to raise awareness for the preciousness and dignity of our children, especially in the face of the real dangers and threats young people face through societal pressures. We are expecting at least one parent with children in grades 4 – 7 to attend.
2020-21 Kindergarten Applications
St. Edmund’s School is accepting applications for the upcoming school year. Forms may be downloaded from the school website https://www.stedmunds.ca. The application form, together with the child’s original birth and baptismal certificate should be received at the school office no later than Wednesday, January 15th, 2020. After applications have been received, new families to St. Edmund’s school will be contacted for an interview.
Annual General Meeting & Registration Packages
Our AGM will be held in the school gym on Wednesday, February 19th at 7:00 PM and we look forward to seeing you all at the upcoming meeting. The meeting will take place first and registration packages will be handed out immediately following the meeting so please ensure that at least one family member attends.
Our grade 2 and 7 students have already begun preparing for the sacraments Reconciliation, Eucharist & Confirmation that they will be receiving. Please keep them in your prayers as they continue their spiritual development. We will be celebrating a sacramental Mass of Enrollment on Sunday, January 26th at the 11:00 mass. Everyone is welcome to attend!
Recognition & Appreciation
- Pietraru & Mr. Cadar & Mr. Manilou for photographing and videotaping the Christmas Concert. (Photos and video will be available online soon.)
- Ruben Sarabia and his team whose extra TLC resulted in wonderfully polished school floors and the cleanliness of our classrooms and common areas.
- Our school continues to promote a safe travel plan for our students. Remember our walk-a-block theme for drop-off/pick-up of students which allows for great exercise and less traffic congestion! Please help us to make our drop of and pick up zones safer for everyone by using the designated crosswalks.
As we begin the new year, it is appropriate to be reminded that the school uniform be worn with pride and with attention to detail:
- Sweaters should be in good condition. Holes should be repaired or the sweater should be replaced.
- Skirt hems should be modest in length (no more than 7cm/3inches above the knee)
- Students should wear proper black dress shoes. (Boots or runners may be worn to and from school but must be changed for the school day.)
- Hair and jewelry accessories should be subdued in nature: Long hair should be tied back; only stud earrings are permitted; nails should be clear (no nail polish) and of reasonable length.
- Make-up is not to be worn.
Thank you for supporting our uniform policy and keeping our students looking their best. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.
- During the week of January 20th, we will have a number of our primary students represent our school at the annual speech arts festival that will be taking place at St. Pius X School. Thank you to Mrs. Calamo for helping to prepare our students!
- Basketball season is upon us! Permission forms, practise schedules and game dates were sent home before Christmas break. We look forward to another great season of Tbird athletics!
Be Ready for Winter Weather
Time spent outdoors is an integral part of the school day. There are great benefits when children experience fresh air, exercise and time spent time outside. Outdoor play is also a break from the structure of the classroom. Preparing for winter playground play is important. Please be sure to send your children to school with warm jackets, gloves, hats and boots (don’t forget to also send their regular school shoes!) . We also ask that you label their jackets, hoodies, school and gym uniform as many clothing items have found their way into the lost and found box located in the small hall.
Please do not send your child to school if he/she is not well enough to go outdoors for recess. Germs spread quickly and we want to keep everyone healthy. Also, please remember to call the school and send a note/email if your child is not coming in to school.
In case of snowfall, please check your email and listen to CKNW or check Global News for information regarding school closure. If the school is open, as a parent it is your decision as to whether you send your child to school.